Saturday, January 23, 2010

punky bruiser... coming soon.


So, basically, if you've hung out with me in the last two weeks you probably know what I'm going to share right now. For those of you who haven't get excited for this update.

As a super senior going into my last semester I have a lot to figure out for my life after JMU. Most people think about jobs and other things of that responsible nature. One of the only things that I have planned for post graduation is joining a roller derby team.

This may seem very random, and that's kind of cause it is. Is anything about me not random though? Within the last two weeks I've become kind of obsessed with the idea of roller derby. It all started while I was at home in the berry with Steve and Shan at Starbucks. As the three of us were chatting I blurted out "Do you guys think I'd be good at roller derby?" Where this question came from I have no idea, but the answers I got from the two of them were very encouraging. I then proceeded to text several people in my phone to get more feedback on my roller derby potential. Surprisingly most of the responses were positive, and by positive I mean things like "possibly, but don't do it" or "maybe."

After I got home from Starbucks I enlightened my family with my new life plans. The little bro had no faith in my roller derby skills and Pegs told me I would be like a China doll on skates. Even with these responses from the fam I'm still pretty excited for the possibility of roller derby in my future.

Conveniently once I was back at JMU Whip It was playing at Grafton. This only fueled my urge to become a roller derby girl. I did some research and things that roller derby girls enjoy which include live music and PBR. A lot of them have tattoos and crazy colored hair. All of these things which I also enjoy and have. One of the other things that go along with roller derby are really awesome nick names. Some from the movie were "Babe Ruthless", "Maggie Mayhem", and "Smashlee Simpson". After the movie while I was showering the perfect roller derby name came to me: Punky Bruiser. I basically am Punky Brewster. If you don't believe me check out this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HEXW96__6c&feature=related

My dad even called me the other day to tell me there are going to be roller derby girls at a car show in Pittsburgh this weekend. At least he is supportive of my post graduation plans. Part of me just wants to do it to prove people wrong, but most of me wants to do it cause it'd be really kickass and they wear sweet outfits. If you have any opinions on my roller derby potential let me know I'd love to hear them. Maybe someday in the near future I'll figure out some more stable plans for life after graduation, but for now I'm picking out my roller skates.


1 comment:

  1. I fully support your Roller Derby potential, Jess! Just make sure you land a spot as a jammer!

    ReplyDelete