Monday, January 17, 2011

miss america 2011!!!!

Saturday (1/15) was the Miss America Pageant. One of my favorite days of the year! My love for Miss America goes back to an old family tradition where my extended family would hold their own Miss America Pageant each year and the winner had to wear her crown to every family event after, or she would lose the crown to the runner up. It was pretty intense. There have been jokes made at funerals when the family's Miss America shows up not wearing the crown. I was never old enough to compete while this family tradition existed, so now I've started my own.

This year decorations included a patriotic back drop for head shots and posters with all the contestants' official head shots and the state they represented. We all picked random states from a bowl and competed along with the pageant.

Some of the talents were a little more than tragic. I'm looking at you Miss Delaware! We had our own talent portion during commercial breaks involving pageant talents in the form of charades. Some real gems were ballet in a fat suit and naked guitar playing.

The entire room was rooting for Miss Virginia since she's from JMU. She made it to the top ten, but didn't make it into the final five. The 2011 Miss America is Miss Nebraska, Teresa Scanlan. We all thought she had a major stink eye, but I learned from the What the Buck Show, that it was just a false eye lash gone wrong.



In our own version of Miss America we awarded the top 5 with gold medals and Diane was the lucky one to have Miss Nebraska and she, too, got to be Miss America for the night.

"I think my reign is off to a great start." - Text from Diane the day after she was crowned Miss America. I agree completely. I can also check off number 9 from this list! I will leave you with our fantastic head shots. Tootles!


No comments:

Post a Comment