Tuesday, August 23, 2011

any other restaurant > dave's taverna

This evening I attempted to meet some friend's at Dave's Taverna for some adult beverages and nomz. I'm going to give you a rundown of the events that occurred.

I tried to order a girlie beverage from the bar. I gave the bar tender my driver's license + second form. He was skeptical because my holograms have completely faded since it's so old. It expires next month and has done well for me the past 4 years of being over 21. He shows some other employee, who then takes my ID inside for top secret investigation.

A women came back and then in the most accusing tone I have ever heard said "Why did you peal the holograms off?" I proceeded to inform her that I didn't peal them off, that my ID is old and expiring next month. It's seen better days. As her accusing tone continued, she informed me that she could tell my ID was real, while she flashed the black light over the back revealing Pennsylvania written, however my ID is invalid without the holograms so they wont serve me.

This was the final straw in my dislike for Dave's. Not only was I not served, but it was handled extremely poorly. If the power tripping women in the light blue polo had come over and in a tone that one person usually uses with another and said something like, "Hey, were you aware that the holograms had come off of your ID? We are unable to serve you because of this. I'm sorry, is there anything else we can get for you?" But instead, I felt attacked and disrespected as a customer for the last time.

The thing that bothers me the most is that there are tons of other great restaurants in downtown Harrisonburg and yet people still choose to go to Dave's. I would now like use this blog as a public service announcement for all the other great restaurants downtown has to offer. The next time you are going out to dinner or for drinks with a group of friends, please think twice before your final decision is Dave's.

Clementine: This is one of my favorites. They have a great selection of beers & other drinks. Have you tried the Oh My Darlin' because it is delightful. Also, they just redid their basement which I have yet to visit. I've had lots of good times hanging out with friends in the lounge or restaurant upstairs. It has a great atmosphere and the employees are some of the friendliest in the area!

Pennybackers: Some arguments for pro-Dave's is that it has a roof top, well guess what?! So does Pennybackers! Enjoy some beers and tots and sandwiches on a rooftop, which I think has a better view than Dave's anyway.

The Artful Dodger: They have happy hour specials until 9pm and a great selection of food. I personally enjoy the cheesy bread & know a lot of derby girls who dig their nachos. They have PBR man cans and have Lions Head on tap most of the time. They also rotate their draft beers regularly. It's quirky and cute and they also have outdoor seating. The Dodger is a great place to go hang out with a group of friends in a chill environment, especially on weeknights!

Union Station: Union Station is relatively new and I love it. Their fries are the best in town. They have really delicious cocktails - try the Starburst or the Berry Splash. You wont be disappointed. Check out their bar in the back. They have bar menu specials from 4-7 and starting again at 9pm. This menu includes a cheeseburger & fries for $2.95 and it's awesome.

Finnigin's Cove: This is quite the charming place. They have lots of space for big groups of friends and their cheese fries are a good life choice. You can smoke inside if that's your thing and they have happy hour specials and PBR on draft. Obviously I have really high standards for impressing me.

As you can see with all these other wonderful options in Harrisonburg I am continually puzzled as to why people choose to go to Dave's?! Every other place I mentioned has better food, better service, and a better atmosphere. The only thing you can get at Dave's is a $3 pitcher of Natty & a guarantee that you will be treated poorly by every employee you come in contact with. From now on I'll take my $3 and put it towards something at one of the many other places downtown has to offer. This is a sorry in advance to any friends who invite me out to Dave's. I will be declining unless you switch locations.

No comments:

Post a Comment